How Do I Set Up and Manage Microsoft Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook is available to employees of VIU and is installed as part of the standard software package for VIU computers. These instructions cover basic setup and configuration of Outlook while on campus and can be used when using Outlook off-campus.
Please note: the default email limits are;
Maximum number of sent emails per 24 hours: 1000
Maximum file attachment size: 30MB internal email addresses, 20MB to external email addresses.
Note: If you wish to use MS Outlook to access your VIU email from home you will need to be connected to the VIU VPN. Instructions on using the VPN service can be found here. First, Open Microsoft Outlook. If you already use MS Outlook for other email accounts, please read below.
- If you do not have an email account already set up, Outlook will display the Welcome screen. Please click Next and move to step 2.
- If you already use MS Outlook for a personal email account, you can add the VIU email account as a second mailbox. Choose File -> Account settings -> Account settings from the main screen. Choose New.
- Ensure the selection is on Microsoft Exchange or compatible service. Click Next and go to step 3.
- Outlook will ask you to setup an account. Click Next
- On the 'Auto Account Setup' screen fill out all of the boxes with your information, and then click 'Next'.
- You may be prompted to allow 'mail.viu.ca' to configure your e-mail account. Click 'Allow' if asked. If not, skip to the next step.
- If you see a window prompting to enter a password with your email address above the password field, click 'Use another account'.
- Enter "VIU\" followed by your username in the Username field (e.g. viu\doej).
- In the 'Password' field, enter your VIU computer account password. Be sure to also check 'Remember my credentials'. Then, click 'OK'.
- The configuration wizard will complete. Check 'Change account settings' and then click 'Next'.
- Drag the slider for 'Mail to keep offline' all the way to the right so that it is set to "All", and then click 'Finish'.
- Outlook will start up and begin syncing all of your e-mail. If you have a large mailbox, this will take some time. You can determine when the sync has completed by looking for 'ALL FOLDERS ARE UP TO DATE' located on the bottom right of the Outlook window.
How do I add my photo to Outlook?
1. Login to webmail at https://mail.viu.ca/
2. Click the image of the person in the top right corner and click 'Change'
3. Click 'Upload photo'
4. Select your photo
5. Click 'Save'
The image will only be visible within VIU.
1. In Outlook click on File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings. In the account settings box click on the 'Data Files' tab.
2. Click on 'Settings...' button.Click on the Advanced Tab then click Add…
3. Type the name of the Mailbox and click OK. Then click 'OK'.
4. To finish, click on 'Next', and then 'Finish', and then 'Close'.
To view in VIUTube click HERE.
Add Secondary inbox for Mac
To view in VIUTube click HERE.
Start the Outlook archiving process by creating a working Archive folder in your Mailbox where you will place and organize all mail messages that are going to be archived.
1. Open Outlook
2. In Outlook, right – click on your Mailbox and select New Folder
3. In the Create New Folder window, name your new folder Archive and click OK
- You should now have a new folder in your Outlook Folder List named Archive. This is where you will temporarily store any mail messages you wish to archive and back up
TIP: You might want to create sub-folders under the "Archive‟ folder relating to time periods (i.e. "2011") or simply mirror the structure of any sub-folders already present in your Inbox to keep your organization of mail consistent. You can create as many subfolders in the new Archive folder as you wish by simply right-clicking on it and selecting New Folder.
Moving mail messages to your Archive folder in Outlook
1. Select one or many email messages that you want to move to the Archive folder.
- TIP – You can select multiple email messages by holding CTRL and clicking on each message you want to select. If you want to select a range of messages just click on the first message, then hold SHIFT, and click on the last message.
2. Right-click on the selected messages and choose Move -> Archive
- NOTE – if the Archive folder doesn't show up the first time click on Other Folder at the bottom of the list and choose the Archive folder.
After you have moved all the messages that you want to archive into the Archive folder please proceed to Archiving Step 1.
1. Create an archive (PST) file1. In Outlook click on New Items -> More Items -> Outlook Data File
2. Choose My Computer from the left side of the screen then choose Local Disk (C:)
3. Under the "File" name section, type in the name for the archive and Click OK.
- We suggest using your username and date. I.E. morganc archive 201209213
4. You will be given the option to create a password for the archive file. We suggest you DO NOT type in a password, just hit OK.
Moving files to your archive (PST) file
You are now ready to move mail messages into your Archived Mail folder in Outlook. Here's how:
1. Right-click on the Archive folder that you created to temporarily store your email messages and select Copy Folder
2. In the Copy folder window scroll down the list of folders and select the name of your PST file (eg. brownj archive 20120921). Hit OK.
3. In preparation for backing up your new mail archive to USB or CD please close the PST folder by right-clicking it in the folder list and choosing Close. Archiving Step 2 – Backing up and testing your PST files. Any time that you export messages to a PST file in Outlook you should take the time to backup and archive.
Backing up to a USB drive
1. Plug your USB drive into the computer.
2. Double-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
3. Find the email archive file in Libraries->Documents->Archive Files. Right-click on the file and select Copy.
4. Go back to the main My Computer screen and select your USB drive.
5. Paste the copied file onto your USB drive.
'Testing your email archive (PST) file backup
After backing up your email archive to CD or USB you should test to ensure the files is still working.
To test the archive file please follow these steps:
1. Go to My Computer and to the Local Disk (C:). Create a new folder called Restore.
2. Copy the email archive file from your CD or USB drive to this folder.
3. Right-click on the email archive file in the Restore folder and select Properties. Ensure that the Read-Only checkbox is NOT checked.
4. Open Outlook
5. Select File -> Open -> Outlook Data File
6. Browse to the Restore folder you created, select your email archive file and hit OK.
7. The email archive file should now be in your Outlook folder list. Look at the contents of the file and ensure everything is there and accessible.
8. Close the email archive file by right-clicking on the folder and choosing Close.
9. You can now delete the contents of the temporary Archive folder (we created this at the beginning of the process) that was in your mailbox. You can use it in the future to archive more email.
Moving Forward – Maintaining your Outlook email archive
Once you have created your archive, it will always be there in the form of a PST archive file located on the hard drive of your computer. This means that you do not have to follow the "Archiving Step 1" portion of this document again.
To manage your Outlook mail archive from this point forward, simply do the following:
1. Use the temporary Archive folder you created earlier as your day to day repository for e-mail messages that will be archived. Drag and drop mail messages that you will eventually archive into the newly created archive.
2. Once or twice a year, move the entire contents of the Archive folder in your Mailbox into the email archive file folder at the bottom of your Outlook folder list. This will remove all the messages from your active Outlook mailbox and store them in the email archive (PST) file.
3. Back up the PST file to USB or CD and do a test restore.
- You can recover items deleted within the last 60 days on the VIU Exchange Server using Outlook 2007
- Open Outlook 2007 and click on the folder you want to recover items from (usually the Deleted Items folder)
- N.B. If you know the folder it was originally stored in, click on the folder to filter the items, it will still be recovered to the Deleted Items folder)
- Click on Tools => Recover Deleted Items. This opens the Dumpster, select the item you want to recover, click the Recover button and it will be returned to the Deleted Items folder
As a VIU Employee you have access to your VIU email account anytime anywhere you have internet access and a web browser. This will work on Windows, Mac, and smartphones.
Outlook® Web Access Link: http://webmail.viu.ca/
Outlook® Web Access (OWA) enables you to securely access your Microsoft Outlook® mailbox from most computers with an Internet connection. This is sometimes referred to as WebMail or VIU WebMail. It is an easy way to access your Outlook® mailbox when you are away from your office computer. You can check and respond to email, manage your calendar and see other Outlook® items.
If you monitor another email account, you can switch to this account within your Webmail login. (Note: this is not the same for mobile)
- Log into Webmail, click on the Portrait icon found in the top right corner.
- Click on "Open and other mailbox...", this will open a dialog box, type in the email address or the Display Name of the account and click the "Open" button. This will reload the page in that email account. You can use it to create Out-of-office messages and make appointments in the calendar.