Key points to remember when requesting a Generic Account:
- The generic account administrator is responsibile for ensuring that the activities of the account can always be attributed to a single individual.
- The generic account administrator is responsible for keeping documentation recording the dates that an individual has been granted access to the account.
- The generic account administrator is responsible for changing the password on the account whenever the individual no longer requires access to the account.
- Generic accounts follow the VIU password standard and the account password will expire every 6 months (180 days).
- Generic accounts will be audited on an annual basis for ongoing need. The generic account administrator should keep a record of all generic accounts they have requested so they can provide information regarding ongoing need when requested.
How do I request or access this service?
To request a Generic Account:
- Read the Generic Account Standard: https://isapp.viu.ca/commPublic/docShow.asp?doc_id=33075
- Complete the Generic Account Request Form:
https://isapp.viu.ca/VIUWEB/commViewer/docShow.asp?doc_id=33140 (employee log in required)
- Track your generic accounts (sample generic account tracker.xlsx)
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can use this service?
When is this service available?
Support for this service is available: M-F 8:00 - 4:30
Service is available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week except during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.
Our technology advisory page provides up-to-date information about the operations of Vancouver Island University's Information Technology systems and services.