Parent Guide to Getting Started with VIU Technology
As you know, helping your son or daughter prepare for the new school year begins well before they arrive on campus. To make sure they start off on the right foot, we've compiled information for you to help them get started with technology.
Make sure your son or daughter creates a student computer account. The student computer account grants access to most campus IT Services, including campus computers, VIULearn(D2L) online course content, your student record, campus wireless, pay-for-print services, file storage and more.
- To create your computer account go to this link: http://resetstu.viu.ca
- For more information on VIU student computer accounts and what you can access with them: How Do I Create a Student Computer Account?
Shopping for a new computer? Want to buy some software? Take advantage of the discounts available to VIU students at the VIU bookstore and through Microsoft.
- The VIU Bookstore sells Adobe student licenses and Mac computers at educational prices: VIU Bookstore Computer Products
- Microsoft offers Office 2013 free to VIU students:Microsoft Office 365 Free Subscription for Students and Employees
- Microsoft has amazing deals on Windows for students: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/edu
Almost every course your son or daughter takes will require some comfort using a computer. Whether for typing essays and research papers, creating spreadsheets, or using special software such as VIULearn (D2L), the instructors will expect students to be able to do these things comfortably. Students should take some time before starting school to brush up on computer skills.
- Microsoft has an excellent series of Digital Literacy courses that you can complete. We recommend completing this program prior to starting your studies.
- Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/citizenship/giving/programs/up/digitalliteracy/default.mspx
It is important that your son or daughter understands how to use the university technology safely and appropriately. Please read the below Use of Information Technology policy before using campus technology including computers and campus wireless access.
VIU has printers conveniently located all over campus in computer labs and in the library commons. Students can print to these printers from student computers and from their personal laptops. To print, students will need to add money to their Pay-Print account. Printing costs 10¢ per side for black and white and 50¢ per side for colour.
- For information on how to add money to a Pay-Print account, how to map a printer on your laptop, and additional printing services visit this page: How Do I use the Student Printing?
- For information on other printing and duplicating services offered at VIU go here: http://www.viu.ca/printing/index.asp
The VIU IT Helpdesk is your front-line resource for help and technical support with VIU technology. We can also provide advice and guidance for using your technology. We are available by phone Monday to Friday 8:00 am PST to 4:30 pm PST. You can also visit us in person Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 3:30 pm..