How Do I Set Up My VIU Email on a Personal Device?
When using a computer that is joined to the VIU domain and connected to the VIU network, Outlook will automatically set up and configure your VIU email account when it is run for the first time.
For setup and configuration of email on personal devices, please use the following instructions appropriate to the device that you wish to use.
Note: If you wish to use MS Outlook to access your VIU email from home you will need to be connected to the VIU network via VPN. Instructions on using the VPN service can be found here.
Outlook Web Access (OWA) enables you to securely access your Microsoft Outlook mailbox from most computers with an Internet connection. This is sometimes referred to as WebMail or VIU WebMail. It is an easy way to access your Outlook mailbox when you are away from your office computer. You can check and respond to email, manage your calendar and see other Outlook items.
You can access Outlook Web Access by visiting http://webmail.viu.ca/
- First, Open Microsoft Outlook. If you already use MS Outlook for other email accounts, please read below. If you do not have an email account already set up, Outlook will display the Welcome screen. Please click Next and move to step 2.
- If you already use MS Outlook for a personal email account, you can add the VIU email account as a second mailbox. Choose File -> Account settings -> Account settings from the main screen. Choose New.
- Ensure the selection is on Microsoft Exchange or compatible service. Click Next and go to step 4.
- Outlook will ask you to setup an account. Click Next.
- On the 'Add Account Setup' screen fill out all of the boxes with your information as requested, and then click 'Next'.
- You may be prompted to allow 'https://mail.viu.ca' to configure your e-mail account. Click 'Allow' if asked. If not, skip to the next step.
- If the Windows Security window pops up and gives you a choice of accounts to log into, select "Use another account".
- Enter your username in the Username field (e.g. doej).
- Enter your VIU computer account password in the Password field. Be sure to also check 'Remember my credentials'. Then, click 'OK'
- The configuration wizard will complete. Check 'Change account settings' and then click 'Next'
- Drag the slider for 'Mail to keep offline' all the way to the right so that it is set to "1 year", and then click 'Finish'.
- Outlook will start up and begin syncing all of your e-mail. If you have a large mailbox, this will take some time. You can determine when the sync has completed by looking for 'ALL FOLDERS ARE UP TO DATE' located on the bottom right of the Outlook window.
- Open Outlook 2016
- Type in your VIU email address
- Type in your VIU password when prompted
Currently, the best option for Macintosh users who want to access VIU email on campus is to use the Outlook® web access or Outlook® 2016. Please visit our page on Outlook® Web Access for more information on the service.
Please note: Mac Mail, which ships with Mac computers and devices is not supported at VIU.
- Launch Outlook 2016
- Select Preferences
- Enter your email address in the appropriate field
- Enter your username in the requested field (e.g. viu\doej).
- Also enter your VIU computer account password in the field requested.
- In the Server field, enter: mail.viu.ca and then click on the Add Account button.
- From the Home screen of your iPhone select the settings button.
- Select the Mail, Contacts, Calendars Settings and select Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange as the account type.
- Fill in your VIU Email address, Username, and Password as below and then tap Next.
Email: Your VIU Email address. Server: mail.viu.ca Domain: VIU Username: Enter your VIU computer username (e.g. doej). Password: Enter your VIU computer account password.
- Select what you would like to sync: (calendars, contacts, mail).
- Click Done.
- Open Settings -> Accounts
- Add New Account
- Choose Exchange as the account type
- Fill out the following information and tap Next.
Username: Enter you VIU computer username (e.g. doej). Password: Enter your VIU computer account password. Server: mail.viu.ca Port: 443 Security Type: SSL/TLS
- Read Security warning and tap OK
- Tap Next -> Choose what you want to sync->Tap Next
- Your email should now start to Sync.
Note: If the Sync doesn't start you may need to accept another security warning. To find this Swipe down from the top of the screen (this brings up notifications). Tap on the one titled Activate Device Administrator and tap Activate.
- Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Email, Calendar, and Contacts
- Tap Advanced
- Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
- Enter in the following information, substituting your own Username, Email Address, and Password.
Description: VIU Domain: VIU Username: Enter your VIU computer account username (e.g. doej). Email address: Your VIU Email address (e.g.: Jane.Doe@viu.ca). Password: Enter your VIU computer account password. Server address: mail.viu.ca Port: 443
- Tap Next and the tap Done