How Do I Subscribe to Microsoft Office 365?
Micorosoft Office 365 is normally available for Students and Employees of VIU for both Windows and Mac computers. The IT Helpdesk does not provide assistance with downloading and installing Microsoft Office on your personal devices.
Students and and employees may use the VIU Office 365 Portal to download Microsoft Office to their personal device(s) but should note:
- The use of "other" Office 365 "features and applications" that appear in the Office 365 portal should NOT be used at this time as these services are not fully configured. These applications may disappear from the portal at any time and any data loaded into them would be lost.
VIU students have access to the Office 365 for students portal for a free copy of Office 365 connected to a student email address. Once you have a VIU email address, you can visit the Office 365 student portal to setup your student account and claim your copy of Microsoft Office.
Setup your VIU email:
It is important to note that this email will work as a virtual email address. Any messages sent to your @stumail.viu.ca address will be automatically forwarded to the email address you have on file with your student account. With that in mind it is important to keep your VIU student account up to date with your current contact information if you want to make sure you don’t miss any email messages.
- Log into your student record and click on Create VIU Email Address.
- The next page will show you the email address you currently have saved on file next to where it says your current real email address. If this field is blank or wrong you will need to update your contact info from the Change My Address link on the left menu. If your current email address is correct you can select one of the options from the list, then click Request VIU Virtual Email Address. Once configured this address will work as an alias and any email sent to it will be forwarded to your personal email address.
- Once your VIU email has been updated you will want to create and send a test email to your new email@example.com address to confirm that it is working. Generally these emails come through immediately but there can be up to a 24 hour delay before your email becomes active. If you do not receive your test email shortly after sending please wait an hour and try again. If you are still unable to receive any test messages after 24 hours please contact the helpdesk.
- Once you receive your test email at your personal mailbox you will be ready to apply for the Office 365 account.
- Go to https://products.office.com/en-ca/student/office-in-education
Enter your VIU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the box and click on Get started.
Click on the "I'm a student" option
You will see a confirmation screen and receive an email to your current real email address with further instructions.
Sign up for Office 365 Student:
Please ensure your VIU student email address is working before attempting to sign up for Office 365 Student. Your VIU email will be used to send you a confirmation code during the sign up process and you cannot complete the application without that code.
Check your Current Office Installation:
Before installing Office 365 you may want to make sure you do not have any other version of Office 365 installed. Even trial versions of Office that come pre-loaded on some new laptops can cause licensing problems when you install your student version. If you do not believe you have any licensed versions of Office 365 currently installed or don’t believe it will be a problem you can skip this step, otherwise you can check or uninstall other versions by following these instructions:
Search for “uninstall” from your start menu search field then select Uninstall a Program.
Once the Programs and Features window opens you can double click on the entry for Microsoft Office 365.
Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation.
Go to this link and enter your @stumail.viu.ca email address in the text field as shown below. Then click the Get Started button.
Click on I’m a student.
Fill in the application form and enter the Verification code that was sent to your email address. If you have not yet received a code you can click the resend signup code link to send a new one. Please bear in mind that if there is a slight delay from Microsoft sending you your code you may end up getting two verification code emails. You will always want to use the newest code.
- At the Invite more people screen please click the skip button at the bottom of the page.
- You should then be taken to the www.office.com account welcome page. Click on the dropdown labeled Install Office apps then click on Office 2016
- This will download the Office 365 installer to the default location you have configured within your browser. Follow the instructions shown on the screen or find the install file starting with Setup.X86.en-us_O365ProPlusRetail in your downloads folder and run it.
- Make sure to stay online during the install process as the installer automatically downloads and updates the files needed for your new copy of Office 365 and then activates it online. This will take several minutes.
- Once the installation is complete you will want to launch Word 2016, and create a new blank document.
Once you have the blank file open click on File in the top left, then Account from the left menu. If your copy of Office is installed and activated it will say Product Activated on the right hand side below the Office logo.
Students who use the VIU Office 365 Portal to download Microsoft Office to their personal device(s) should note:
- All students should register using their @stumail.viu.ca email address. If a student is in a programs (ABT for example) that temporarily provides an email in the format <student_number>@viu.ca, they should NOT use this email address to download Microsoft Office to a personal device. The student should use their @stumail.viu.ca address. Ignoring this warning could result in Microsoft Office stopping to function on your personal device.
- Students should be aware if they elect to store files in Microsoft OneDrive, that data is currently stored in USA. A notice will be posted when this changes.
- Go to https://products.office.com/en-ca/student/office-in-education
- Enter your VIU email address (email@example.com) in the box and click on Get started.
- Click on the "I'm a teacher" option.
- You will see a confirmation screen and receive an email to your VIU email address with further instructions.
Employees who use the VIU Office 365 Portal to download Microsoft Office to their personal device(s) should note:
- Loading Microsoft Office from the Office 365 portal on to VIU equipment must not be attempted as software on VIU systems is managed through other means
- Employees should be aware that if they elect to store files on Microsoft Office OneDrive, that data is now stored in CANADA.