How Do I Set Up and Manage VIU Mail and Distribution Lists?
The Allemp email distribution list has been replaced by two specific-purpose, large audience email distribution lists, the ML Employees list and the ML VIU Community list. Additionally, Microsoft Outlook email Mail List (ML) and Distribution List (DL) services have been enabled for special interest, target audience email distribution
To setup a VIU Distribution List
All Employee Mail and Distribution Lists
- Automatically created and updated from TDS and Stargarden databases.
- Organized by ML Employees, ML VIU Community or ML BargainingUnit.
- Identified by ML NameOfList.
- Manually created by the IT Help Desk (see How to Request a New Distribution List)
- Designated person(s) responsible for creation and maintenance.
- May have restrictions as to who can use them.
- Identified by DL NameOflist or DL_NameOfList.
- The VIU Digest is VIU's employee e-newsletter. Published twice per week on Mondays and Thursdays, the digest includes up to date information on events and activities at VIU. Read the VIU Digest to catch up on the latest IT Talk Nerdy To Me article.
- The VIU Digest is published by University Relations. For more information email university email@example.com.
- To submit content to the VIU Digest complete the submission form: VIU Digest Submission at the top of every edition, you can also click on the SUBMIT A STORY link and it will redirect you to this form.
- To recognize a colleague through the SMILES section, simply follow this link viu.ca/news/smile or click on the Nominate a colleague link which is found each week in the VIU Digest's SMILE Section.
- To unsubscribe scroll to the bottom of the site and click "unsubscribe from this list".
The institutional ML Employees list is used for "mission critical" information. Every employee (and only employees) will receive the emails but this is a controlled-access list with a limited number of people being able to post to the list. The ML Employees list is used to inform faculty and staff about activities, events, or policies that relate to VIU's educational mission and services.
Good examples of this are:
- Crisis/urgent announcements: power outages, crime alerts, snow closures, computer virus alerts
- Logistics, construction closures, road closures, environmental alerts
- Major announcements: significant events such as convocation, naming of a new president or vice-president, university status updates, strategic messages from the Executive
- Governance information, new policies, and procedures
- Registration information that faculty and students need to know: deadlines, policies
- Essential Human Resources information
Access to the posting of these emails is limited to members of the Executive (and their designated) and the Director of Public Relations and Communications.
(DL)Submit a request to the IT Helpdesk via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (L6300) which includes the following information:
1. The name of the owner or administrator of the DL (a person responsible for managing the list members).
2. The preferred name of the DL:
- Format will be DL NameOfList (for newly created DLs there is a space, not an underscore, between DL and the Name)
- Keep the Name short, acronyms are preferred
3. Is there a need to restrict who sends an email to this DL?
- Only members in the group can email this DL
- Any VIU Outlook user can email to this DL
- Lists are available in MS Outlook® via the Global Address List.
- Users can now view additional information associated with a user's name by right-clicking on the username then Properties.
- Blackberry® users can do a Lookup (in email or address book) for any employee at VIU and find TDS information (email, phone, fax).