Employee Computer Accounts
Employee computer accounts are automatically created by Human Resources when:
- an appointment has been entered into the Human Resources system and
- a request is made for a new account by the area contact of the new employee's department.
Account maintenance, such as the disabling of inactive accounts is done through an automated system. A disabled account can be automatically re-enabled by Human Resources when the above conditions are met.
Your employee computer account and VMS account usernames are identical.Your username is automatically generated by the computer system. The basic form takes up to the first 8 characters of the user's surname followed by their first initial. In some cases, additional initials or a numeric value may be required to differentiate between usernames. Your username is not case sensitive, so Joe Name's username can be entered as namej or NameJ. If you have had a formal name change, and your new name has been entered by Human Resources into the StarGarden system, you can send a request to the IT Helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org">(email@example.com) to have your username and Email address changed to reflect your new name.
The password for both your employee computer account and VMS account is identical. For new employees, it is initially set to your Social Insurance Number in the format of Sin######### (i.e. Sin123456789). For security reasons, your password should never be left as your SIN. Click here for information on how to change your computer account/VMS password.
For details on the current VIU password expiration and complexity requirements view please see the Password security section of the How Do I Change My Password page.
Remember that your password is case-sensitive but your Username is not.
If you have any reason to suspect that someone else may have learned your password, change it immediately. Please see the How Do I Change My Password page.
There are three options for changing your password:
- Use the link in the email you receive, when your password is close to expiration.
- You can change your Password online
- Your password can be changed when you are on campus and logged into a campus computer (Nanaimo, Parksville and Powell River):
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Security window
- You will see six buttons, press the Change Password... button (lower left)
- Enter your Old Password
- Enter your New Password
- Confirm your New Password
- Click OK to save
- Click Cancel to Exit from the Security window
No one knows your passwords, not even the ITS department. If you have forgotten one or both of your passwords, or the password doesn't seem to be working, please contact the IT Helpdesk at 250-740-6300 (local 6300). You will be required to provide some proof of identification. The Helpdesk can reset both your VMS and Capitan Passwords.
An employee may have a number of accounts they will use to access resources at Vancouver Island University.
What is commonly referred to as your 'computer account' consists of the following:
- Employee Computer Account (Windows-Network)
- VMS/VAX Account
You may also want to access the following resources, which require different accounts (usernames and passwords):
Your employee computer account allows you to log on to VIU networked computers and includes personal network storage (your U: drive), an Exchange Email account, and access to employee printers and share drives. Your VIU email address is your Firstname.Lastname@viu.ca. Your employee network file storage (including your U: drive and roaming profile) is subject to a quota limit. For information on your network storage quota, please see our web page on Managing Quotas.
Everyone using information technology at VIU is required to abide by Vancouver Island University's Policy 45.01 - Use of Information Technology.
Your employee computer account allows you to:
- Log onto a campus (Nanaimo, Parksville and Powell River) computer and use all of its functions (software, Internet access, printing)
- Access your VIU employee email account from a campus computer
- Access your VIU employee email remotely using Outlook Web Mail
- Access InVIU
In some situations (such as accessing InVIU from off-campus), you may need to enter Capitan\ in front of your employee computer account username. i.e. Capitan\YourUsername
Your VMS/VAX account allows access to:
- The Student Record System (SRS), including Grade Entry
- The Financial Record System (FRS), including Purchase Requisitions
- StarGarden HR System
- Facilities Online Work Order Form
- Parking Permits
If you are a member of one of these groups, please refer to Procedure 45.01.001 Access to Information Technology - Associate Privileges for information regarding duration and type of access. If you are retired and would like to maintain access to your account please go to the Maintaining your Access section.
An Affiliate of Vancouver Island University (VIU) is a person who is not an employee but who has a regular relationship to the institution and may require access to some VIU services. Once registered as an Affiliate in the Payroll/Human Resources system, VIU, at its discretion, can extend this person rights to various services, such as a computer account, library borrowing privileges, and staff paid parking. Status as an Affiliate lasts a maximum of two years, after which it can be renewed. Affiliates assigned a computer account are bound by the provisions of Use of Information Technology Policy 45.01.
Affiliate Status Application Form (employee login required).
A generic account is a login account that departments use when they want to provide access to unique or specific department or position resources for short time periods.
Key points to remember when requesting a Generic Account:
- The generic account administrator is responsible for ensuring that the activities of the account can always be attributed to a single individual.
- The generic account administrator is responsible for keeping documentation recording the dates that an individual has been granted access to the account.
- The generic account administrator is responsible for changing the password on the account whenever the individual no longer requires access to the account.
- Generic accounts follow the VIU password standard and the account password will expire every 6 months (180 days).
- Generic accounts will be audited on an annual basis for on-going need. The generic account administrator should keep a record of all generic accounts they have requested so they can provide information regarding ongoing need when requested.
To request a Generic Account:
An automated email notice is sent to any Regular, Temporary, Term, Student employee, Research Associates, and Affiliates with an email account 30 days before their employment, contract, or affiliation end date. The disable date in the email relates to the end date of the contract or affiliation period which comes from Human Resources’ records. Retired employees please see the next section for more information on retaining your account.
- Temporary (non VIUFA or BCGEU) employee whose appointment is ending
- VIUFA Term employee whose last appointment ended over 12 months ago
- BCGEU Term employee whose last appointment ended over 6 months ago
- Research Associate whose affiliation agreement is ending
- Affiliate whose affiliation agreement is ending
- Casual who has not been paid in the last 90 days
- Student Worker (work-op) whose contract is ending, or has not been paid in the last 90 days
- Student Worker (non work-op) whose contract is ending, or has not been paid in the last 90 days
- New employee who has not been paid within 30 days of the start of their appointment
- Retiree who has not renewed their account privileges within the last year
Computer Account Disable Dates by affiliation:
- Account disabled 12 months after last date of appointment
Regular VIUFA, BCGEU, CUPE, Admin & Associates
- Account disabled 1 day after last date of appointment
- Account disabled 90 days after last date of pay
Student Workers (work-op)
- Account disabled 1 day after last date of appointment
Student Workers (non work-op)
- Account disabled 1 day after contract completion date
- Access to VIU accounts, network shares, email and online resources are disabled. Any email sent to a disabled account will generate an automatic reply. Files and emails in disabled accounts remain intact for 1 year.
- Access is restored to user accounts and resources. Files and emails are just as they were left, the password is the unchanged. Data is removed from a Disabled Account only after 1 full year with no activity
Employees retiring from Vancouver Island University may, upon request, retain their University computer account and email address for a period of 12 months following their date of retirement. Retired employees may renew this access privilege annually for life. Details of the program are covered in Vancouver Island University Policy 43.31, Retired Employee Privileges. Please contact the IT Helpdesk with the "Contact Us" information on the right for more information.
If you have received an email informing you that your account is to be disabled, and you believe your account needs to remain active, have your Supervisor contact the IT Helpdesk with the following information:
Confirmation of employment/appointment.
- Contract start/end dates.
- Whether or not an online appointment (or Associate form) has been submitted.